Thursday, February 27, 2014

How Not to Eat Like a Triathlete

   Next week will be the 30 week mark for Ironman Chattanooga. It might seem that 30 weeks is a long time, but considering that it's almost March and Christmas seems like yesterday, I know September 29th will be here before I know it.
   So, it's time to get a little more serious on things. While I'm not starting my official training plan until April, I'm building a pretty strong base. Well, as strong as you can get when you can't swim (going to try to start again next week, we'll see how it goes).  However, one huge thing I'm completely blowing is my diet. Like most people, I gained a few pounds over the holidays. Unlike most people I know though - I haven't lost the weight post-holidays. Why? My diet is terrible.
   My horrible eating habits started with the holidays, and then continued when I got sick. Normally, I keep my diet somewhat in-check, but not this year. This year, it's really been a struggle. Maybe because it's been so freakin' cold and I just want to hibernate.
    I'm trying to do all of the things you're supposed to when managing your diet. I log everything I eat (for the most part), and I have pretty lean, balanced meals. I'm just BAD when it comes to snicky-snacky things in-between meals. I've totally turned into a grazer.  Do you know how hard it is to log calories when you're grazing? And it doesn't help that I basically have a candy store down the hall from my office. What's worse is that I actually bring good things like carrots and almonds to the office so I won't be tempted by crap, but I still go for the candy. Did I NEED to eat four Twizzlers today? The answer is, of course, NO. No one ever needs Twizzlers, but sometimes I'm just helpless in their presence.

This is in one of my co-worker's offices EVERYDAY.

   Then there are the "special occasion" splurges. You know, the "it's (enter random name here)'s  birthday - I HAVE to have a piece of cake!"  Unfortunately, I have one of those "special occasions" about 2-3 times a week. It could be a birthday, or a going away party, or book group - doesn't matter - they all have cake.

This is at my house RIGHT NOW from book group last night!

   Anyway, it's time I stop the madness and start getting serious. Not that I'm trying to drop a ton of weight or starve myself, I know I'll never be "skinny." I don't have the genetics for it. However, I would like to be a little leaner and more toned. My goal is to drop 11 pounds in the next 11-12 weeks.  Just to lay it all out there, that would put me at 125. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment