Friday, February 7, 2014

Starting Over

   Sigh.  So, I've been sick. Nasty upper respiratory infection. It's been really annoying because the first couple of days, even though I wasn't really "sick," I didn't workout in an attempt to ward off any oncoming illness. And while I was freaking out about how many workouts I was missing, I kept thinking that it was for the greater good, and that I'd be back at it in a few days. Not. So. Much. The illness came anyway and now TWO WEEKS LATER, I still haven't worked out AT ALL.  I finished four books and caught up on this season's "Downton Abbey"...but no exercise.
   It's interesting, because the first few days, I was pretty anxious. I'm not good at sitting around and doing nothing day after day. But as time went on, I got pretty used to just doing nothing. I guess it's true about what they say about habits being built after two weeks, because I am now officially out of my workout routine. And you know what? I don't care!  While I'm still not 100%, I'm probably well enough to go for a run or something. But I'm kind of like, "Eh - what's one more day off? I'm comfy here hanging with the Corgis."

Henry using the patented Corgi mind-meld to convince me to stay home with him.

   I didn't go through this blasé attitude while I was injured with my sprained ankle last year, even though I was off for six weeks that time. The main difference was that even with the sprain, I could do SOMETHING. I could swim, or bike a little, or maybe do a little light yoga that didn't stress my ankle. So, while running was out, I didn't have the opportunity to completely get out of my routine.
   Because you know what I do when I get completely out of my routine? I eat like crap. Seriously - it was BAD this time. For one two-day stretch, I didn't eat anything but Kraft Mac & Cheese. Yes, the one in the blue box with the powdered cheese, which is the way God intended Mac & Cheese to be created, if you ask me. Don't judge me - that stuff is GOOD.
   So, now here I am, on the flip side of my illness, and I have race season rapidly approaching, and I have completely lost motivation. I mean, I have the Little Rock Half Marathon in three weeks! That's NOTHING! But what did I do last night? I ate a Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Caramel bar.  Do I generally eat things like this? Nope. But that's what I do when I'm out of my routine. And y'all, it was amazing.

Possibly, the best chocolate bar ever.

   Fortunately, I did get a little spark of inspiration yesterday in the mail. My kick-ass Erin Condren "life" planner arrived in the mail.  This came at the recommendation of my friend Kim, aka The Blonde Mule, who is going to use it help plan for her first Half-Ironman later in the Fall. I'm kind of a geek when it comes to planning, and spreadsheets and the like, so this planner is right up my alley. It has the basic stuff that most planners have, but this different...because this one is pretty...and comes with stickers. Don't laugh - that stuff makes a difference. I'm totally psyched that it finally arrived. I've already started figuring out where I'm going to log workouts, meal plans, etc. The only thing I don't like about it is that I didn't get the matching pens that went with it.

Totally should have gotten "Mylls to Go" as the personalization instead of my initials.  Sigh.

   So, with planner in hand, I'm starting over again tomorrow on my quest for Ironman Chattanooga. Only 232 days left!!  Better get on it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment