Monday, September 15, 2014

It's Taper Time!!

   Today...I started my taper for IMCHOO. After a year of planning, and months of training - I'm finally entering my last stage before the race - the blessed taper. While my coaches have made it clear that my workouts should still have a high intensity level, the lengths of my workouts are going to be shorter. Well, except for my swim. I have a 5,000(!!!) meter swim on Friday. Yeah - really looking forward to that one. Anyway, the shorter workouts will let my body rest and heal up from all of the abuse I've thrown at it over the past few months. Hopefully, by the time race day gets here, I'll be at peak performance.
   The one question everyone has been asking is, "Do I feel ready?" And my answer is always, "I don't know." This is my first Ironman. How do you know if you're ready? The only way I would 100% know if I'm ready is if I actually did an Ironman during training. And while I'm sure there are people who actually train like that - I'm not one of them.
    This kind of freaks me out because in less than two weeks, I'm going to be swimming 2.4 miles, cycling 116 miles (due to the increase in the bike course) and running 26.2 miles. While I'm feeling pretty good about how things will go for the swim and the bike, I have NO idea how will my body react at mile 20 of the marathon. No. Idea. That's slightly terrifying.
   But there really isn't anything I can do about that now. The bulk of my training is done, and I have to trust in my training. I just need to try to remain calm for the next two weeks. Because that'll be easy...
   13 days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment