Monday, February 11, 2013

Week 6 TNT and Conquering the 11.2!

   It's been a crazy week - nothing too bad...just a lot of work. But cancer doesn't rest, so neither do we. The TNT group met up at Lipscomb University early Saturday morning for our weekly run. The Mission Moment was given by Meg, whose mother is fighting non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I can't imagine having to face a situation where a close family member is fighting cancer - especially my mother. Some friends know that my mother is currently fighting a blood disease that is related to leukemia. It's non-cancerous (Thank God), and she's able to be treated with medication. But listening to Meg made me think of my own mom. It really hit close to home.
   Now, on to fundraising. I had a winner for my J. Alexander's gift certificate - my friend Donnie, who I work with at the Titans. Congrats, Donnie!! And my new total is...$3,410 or 68%!!  WOO HOO!
Getting closer and closer...

   Again, I'm continually impressed with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They do everything they can to set the members of TNT up for success. After the run, there was a fundraising clinic and a nutrition clinic. They even had people there to help set up our websites. If you've never done it, fundraising is seriously intimidating. But TNT pretty much holds your hand the entire time so you never feel like you're out there alone. Plus, the other team members are very supportive and more than willing to help you out if needed. It's just a group of fantastic people, I tell ya!
   In non-TNT news, I tackled the 11.2 loop out at Percy Warner Park yesterday with Sarah and Sara from EN. Though I've ridden it before, it was the first time I've ever run it. Wow. It's pretty brutal. Over 1,500 feet of elevation gain and loss, with grades to 10-12%. It's extremely scenic and has actually been featured in Runner's World. But as I said - it's tough. Especially if you've been running on flat routes over the past few months, which we have. Knowing that, we took it very easy. No need to get injured, right?  I'm happy to say that at no time did any of us complain. In fact, we were all still smiling at the end of the run, which doesn't always happen on shorter, flatter runs. I think we were all so happy with finishing the famed 11.2 that we didn't care if we were in pain! It's kind of a badge of honor to run the 11.2 and I'm proud to say that I did it. Probably won't do it again for a while - but I'm glad I did it!
  The next two weeks, I won't be running as much because I'm tapering for the NOLA half marathon. I'm not so sure about the 2:00 goal now. Work has really interfered with my training. But it'll be a good time for sure! I'm really looking forward to it!
Click here to help my fight against blood cancers! http://pages.teamintraining.org/tn/nikewhlf13/kmylls


No comments:

Post a Comment