Friday, January 2, 2015

1st Annual Hangover 5k and Brunch

   For the past several years, Dudley and I have registered for a Resolution Run on New Year's Day. Just a fun 5k to start the year off on the right foot (pun intended). This year, however, we changed things up a bit. Rather than going to an official race, we hosted the 1st Annual Hangover 5k and Brunch at our new house. And it was awesome!
   This all went down because Dudley and I didn't know what New Year's race to do, so I started asking around as to what races everyone else was doing. My friend Kim (aka The Blonde Mule) suggested that we could just run around the neighborhood (she lives close). That worked for me as this way we could set a start time that was a little civilized than some of the 8:00 am race starts. So I threw it out on Facebook to see if anyone would be interested in a New Year's 5k / Brunch at my house. Turns out, people were. So I ran with it and BAM - the Hangover 5k was created.
   The Brunch part was potluck. Everyone showed up around 10:00 am and dropped off their food. We (about 25 of us) started running about 10:15. The route was a simple out and back down our street, but it's got a little bit of everything - rolling hills, a bit of flat and a long, grinding hill at the end. It was a hoot to watch everyone take off from our house. I really wish I would have gotten a picture / video of it. Oops. While we told our immediate neighbors about the run, I'm sure other neighbors were like "WHY are all of these people running down my street?"
   By 11:00 we were all back and eating. And did we have the FOOD! So much food! Fruit, biscuits, egg casseroles, tamales, ham, monkey bread... I could go on. We had fixin's for Mimosas and Bloody Marys as well, though most stuck to coffee, water and juice.  

This was just part of the food.

Loading up the plates!

   Dudley and I really enjoyed opening up our home to our friends. We were unable to entertain in our previous home due to parking restraints, but this home is perfect for it. And what's great about hosting a run / brunch is that none of your guests expect you to do your hair and makeup! Hazzah! The only downside was that we didn't have enough furniture for everyone to sit. Sorry, guys. It's a new home. We'll get it furnished eventually! Maybe by next year's run! Thank you all for coming! 


No comments:

Post a Comment