Sunday, July 6, 2014

You Don't Get Holidays In Ironman

    I don't know about you, but for me, holidays generally mean spending time with family, eating good food and all-around slacking. There is also a high-possibility of sleeping in and/or napping. But you know what? Ironman sucks the fun out of holidays.
   Why? Because instead of doing any of the above, I took part in what was the longest training block I've had to date. I pretty much train everyday, but due to my full time job, my long workouts are relegated to the weekends. However, because of the Fourth of July, I had an extra day off of work - an extra day that Coach Andrew took full advantage of by scheduling a long swim Thursday night and an additional brick workout on Friday. These workouts then led into my regular long workouts on Saturday (ride) and Sunday (run).
   I know that these workouts will make me stronger, both mentally and physically. But honestly, when I first saw this training block on my schedule, I wasn't sure how well it was going to work out. It was a little overwhelming to see tough workouts back-to-back-to-back-to-back. But you know what? It wasn't that bad. The workouts in and of themselves weren't that "hard." A little long - but not that hard.  However, the cumulative effect of the past four days has made me a little tired. Specifically, my legs are tired. In fact, my legs are pretty much hating me right now. They don't hurt, but they really don't want to do anything tonight other than sit on the sofa and watch the Tour de France.
   The good news is that tomorrow is a rest day. Oh, blessed rest day - how I love you. Just for tomorrow, I'm going pretend that I'm not going to be lining up for IMCHOO in 83 days (Yikes!)
   See you on the roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment