Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Why I'll Never Win the Hardrock 100

   So, I'm sick. Not a major illness - just a cold, but enough to keep me from going into work today. Something probably brought on by a combination of the crazy temperature changes we've been having in Nashville (60 degrees on Sunday and single digits on Monday. REALLY?) and the fact that my dogs wake me up at 3:00 every morning so my sleep has been terrible recently.
   But, again, like being injured and noticing other people training, this is another way to just freak me out because I'm not out there swimming, biking or running. Seriously - I had no idea that NOT training could be so stressful!
   The smart, rational side of me thinks I need to stay at home, not work out and try to get better, which is exactly what I did today. I prone to getting bronchitis and I would really like to avoid getting it again. But then, there is a part of me that thinks I should just suck it up and workout anyway. I mean, it is just a cold (right now) and maybe I'm being too much of a wimp. Due to my being sidelined today, I read Scott Jurek's "Eat and Run." NOT a good book to read when you're sidelined unless you want to feel like a total poser. That guy freakin' ran through everything! Heck - he tore ligaments in his ankle two days before the 2007 Hardrock 100, ran the race anyway and won! NOT that I'm comparing myself to Scott Jurek (umm, legend), but if he's out there running on torn ligaments, I should be able to get out there and run with a few sniffles, shouldn't I?  Or at least climb on my trainer for a spin?
   But no. I'm sitting here on my sofa like a lump, drinking my herbal tea and taking pictures of my corgis. Which, I'm sure, is something that Scott Jurek never did. Which is why I'll never win the Hardrock 100.

This is Toby. He looks like he's judging me, doesn't he? HE thinks I should go run.

This is Henry. In a green boa. I was bored.

Until next time!  



No comments:

Post a Comment