Monday, January 6, 2014

And I'm Starting to Panic

   So, it's January 6th. I officially have 264 days until Ironman Chattanooga, or a little less than nine months. But this fact alone is not why I'm starting to panic. No, I'm starting to panic because I'm starting to see other athletes training for Chattanooga...and I haven't really started to do anything for it yet. Heck - I don't even have a plan for it yet - forget about actually training for it!
   That's the issue with knowing a lot of triathletes and following several triathlete forums - you get overexposed to the sport. You read about how someone just did a 75 mile bike ride and a 10 mile run, while you're sitting around eating Christmas candy. And it makes you feel like you're a lazy bum. More than a lazy bum - you feel like a damn slacker. While I know that I can't compare myself with other athletes, my anxiety level rises every time I read someone's training schedule.
   But here's the thing, there's a reason why I haven't started training for Chattanooga yet - I'm only doing a six month training program. I really think that's all I can do without losing my freaking mind or completely burning out. I also don't want to get sidelined by an overuse injury. Am I still active? Absolutely. I just finished the Holiday Streak on New Year's Day. I ran nine miles yesterday. I've been swimming somewhat regularly and have doing some yoga/bosu, as well. Today is actually the first day I haven't worked out since before Thanksgiving. Yet, I still have this pit in my stomach because I feel like I'm not doing enough. It's crazy, I know, but it's still how I feel.
   I'm not exactly sure what to do about this. I really enjoy reading about different workouts and training schedules. I know I've picked up some good tips from them. But I also don't like feeling like I'm a Ironman poser because I'm not riding centuries every weekend. Sigh. If anyone has any remedies for Ironman anxiety, I'd love to hear them. I'm sure this isn't the first time I'll be freaking out over the next nine months!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment