Tuesday, June 18, 2013

It's Potato to Tomato Time!

   This week kicked off one of my favorite times of the year - Potato to Tomato. What is that, you ask? Well, it's the eight weeks of free Couch to 5K training that my beloved running group, East Nasty, hosts every Summer for people interested in getting into shape.  From June to August, we run around East Nashville preparing for the Tomato 5k on August 10, which benefits the local YMCA.

Artwork courtesy Duane Stephenson.

   I get funny looks when I mention the program to outsiders of the EN running community. Most Couch to 5k programs are called exactly that - "Couch to 5k" or "C25K" for short. We call ours "Potato to Tomato" because we're training couch potatoes to run the Tomato 5k. Most awesome name for a training program ever? I think so.
   The program is HUGE - it is free after all. There are 200-250 participants and 40 coaches this year. And for the third time in its four-year existence, I'm a Coach.  I even have the shirt and everything.

I'm all official and what not.

  So what exactly does Potato to Tomato do? We meet three times a week - Saturdays, Mondays and Wednesdays. We break up into groups (depending on speed) and then the groups run through the scheduled workout for the day. It's always a 5-minute walking warm up, then a series of run/walk intervals, and then a 5-minute walking cool down. What is so fantastic about this program is that it is truly for people who have never exercised before. Example: last night's workout consisted of running for 60 seconds, and then walking for 90 seconds. We did this eight times. While the thought of running for eight minutes straight might seem intimidating for non-runners, ANYONE can run for 60 seconds at a time. A-N-Y-O-N-E. The time of running increases as the weeks go on, so by the time the race comes along, our runners are more than prepared for the Tomato 5k.
   I'm not exaggerating when I say I've seen lives changed by this program. People lose weight. And make friends. And realize that running with friends is A LOT more fun than running alone. Next, they try a little bit longer distance. And sign up for another race, maybe a 10k this time. Before you know it, these "non-runners" are traveling to Florida with a group of their friends to run a half-marathon (true story) or signing up for an Ironman (another true story). And they got started with this Couch to 5k program*. 
   And my life has changed by coaching. Watching people evolve week to week is so inspiring. And race day? Forget about it. To witness people achieve a goal that some NEVER thought was possible - well, words can't describe it.  

One of my favorite moments ever. Roy, J'Nae and me crossing the finish line. 
Tomato 5k 2010

Big, sweaty hugs at the end.
   
   Can't wait until August 10!  Tomato 5k 2013!  ENFL! 
(FYI - today is the LAST DAY for early registration for the Tomato 5k  Sign up today!! https://give.ymcamidtn.org/page.aspx?pid=443)


*Technically, the examples used here both trained for the Tom King 5k, not the Tomato 5k. However, East Nasty trained both programs and the same training schedule was used. Not that anyone cares, but I'm kind of a stickler for details. And I knew someone would probably correct me - I know how you guys are...

No comments:

Post a Comment