Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I Can't Believe I'm Even Considering This

   Recently, I've been trying to figure out my future race schedule now that I'm running again. I have one race on my calendar definitely - NashVegas Olympic in September. I'm pondering a few others - The Buckhead Border Challenge (Olympic) or Music City (Olympic) in July and Fall Creek Falls (Olympic) or Bowling Green (Sprint) in August. And, though I haven't signed up yet, I'm 99% in for Goosepond Island Half Iron Distance in October.
   Considering I haven't officially finalized my 2013 calendar yet, you can imagine my surprise when I walked in to swim practice this morning, and Coach Andrew says "Want to see what you're doing next season?" and shows me a text on his phone. I braced myself, because I had an inkling of what it was going to say before he showed it to me. And I was right. The text was from my friend and FTP training partner Kathy - and it said "IMCDA." Also known as Ironman Coeur d'Alene.


   An Ironman? Seriously? Just writing the words makes me a little nauseous. For those who don't know about triathlon - that's a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike and a 26.2-mile run. That's 140.6 miles! That's freakin' FAR!! My mind can't even comprehend it.
   This insanity all started because the 2013 IMCDA was last weekend, and there was a pretty good crew from Nashville out there for it. Ironman has a live feed of the finish line so you can watch your friends cross it no matter where you are. Want to see something amazing? Watch the finish of an Ironman. The finishing chute is packed with people screaming and ringing cowbells. The athletes come running down the chute to this cacophony of sounds. Some are running - or at least trying to. Some are high-fiving every spectator along the way, some are only focused on the finish line. Many have tears in their eyes. I saw one guy stand about 10 feet from the finish line and just stare up at himself at the Jumbotron, as if he couldn't really believe he was there. Then you hear Mike Reilly - the "voice of Ironman" say "Bob Smith - YOU are an IRONMAN." Crazy. I can't even imagine what that must feel like.
   So yesterday, Kathy sent me a text asking me if I knew how quickly IMCDA sells out (some Ironman races sell out in less than a minute after registration opens), because she was thinking about signing up. I told her she was crazy for even considering this idea, because that's the kind of supportive friend I am. End of story, right?
   Noooo - then I walk into swim practice get hit with Andrew saying "Want to see what you're doing next season?" And you know what? I thought about it the whole damn time I was swimming. Could I actually finish an Ironman? I mean, for me, it wouldn't really be a "race." It'd be a long day of doing various athletic activities. I do that on a fairly regular basis now. Granted, not for 12-14 hours, but you can train for that. I've already done two Half-Ironmans and will have one more by year's end. Those didn't kill me. I also like that this particular race has a lake swim, rather than the ocean. I can practice swimming in a lake - I don't have an ocean nearby.
   And, since the race is in Idaho, it'd cross off another obscure state off my quest to race a half marathon (or further) in all 50 states. Yes, that is actually a factor in my decision-making process. Would I rather do an Ironman in flat, flat Florida rather than hilly Idaho? Yes. Yes, I would. But I've already raced in Florida. If I'm going to spend the money, I'd like to go somewhere new.
   As you can see, I have some thinking to do (and some serious discussion with Dudley). Suddenly, signing up for Goosepond Island Half sounds like a no-brainer. I'll let you know what I decide.
   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment