Wednesday, August 31, 2016

What's Kristine Reading? August Edition

   Considering that J.K. Rowling dropped the last Harry Potter book on July 31st, was there any real suspense as to what I was reading in August? Of course, it's Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.


   I'm not ashamed to admit that I was pretty much giddy when I received this book from Amazon (I pre-ordered, of course). I also felt a little torn though. I couldn't wait to read the book, but at the same time I didn't want to start it because it's probably the last time Rowling will write about these characters. However, what I WAS certain about was that I wanted to read it uninterrupted, so my reading was delayed until my trip to Seattle last week when I was trapped on a plane for four hours.  
   Due to this delay, I had heard about some of the reviews. While I didn't know any of the plot points, I got the overall impression that the book was kind of meh. So, I was kind of surprised that I liked it as much as I did. Sure, part of that might just be because I love Harry Potter and liked being in that world again for a bit, but I also understood that the book was written as a play, not a novel. A lot of the wonderful details Rowling puts into her novels weren't going to be in the play, since it was created to be seen and not read. Keeping that in mind, I didn't feel let down by the lack of description.
   I also knew before reading that this book picked up where the last book finished - with Harry and the gang as adults with their own kids going off to Hogwarts. If you were expecting a continuation of Harry as a teenager, you would be disappointed. 
   While I would love to see this as a play, I don't know if it's coming over to the States anytime soon. However, I did read that it might be made into a movie...with Daniel Radcliffe as the older Harry.  We can only hope! 
   Read on, friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment