Tuesday, December 22, 2015

What's Kristine Reading - December Edition

   As a calendar year ends, I frequently find myself frantically reading short or fluff books in order to meet my Reading Challenge of 52 books in a year. This year is no exception. I have two weeks left in the year, and am currently reading my 49th book of the year. While I should make my deadline, my books over the past month haven't exactly been great literature. However, that doesn't mean they're not enjoyable, as this month's selection was. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, so let me tell you a little bit about "Sh*t My Dad Says" by Justin Halpern.



   I first heard about "Sh*t My Dad Says" a few years ago when it was just a Twitter feed - a very popular Twitter feed, but the books and TV show hadn't been released yet. The backstory of the author and the book is this: a 28 year-old guy (Justin) gets dumped by his girlfriend and has no place to live so he moves in with his parents. His dad (Sam) makes hysterical, and usually inappropriate, comments and the guy starts tweeting about it. So many people follow him on Twitter that publishers come calling and the result was "Sh*t My Dad Says."
   I was presently surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I actually audibly laughed a few times, and I'm not that kind of reader. Sure, I'll cry at the drop of a hat when reading, but not laugh (which probably is some crazy insight into my personality, but I'm not pursuing that now). Each chapter was an antidote from Halpern's childhood that was followed by 5-10 quotes from his dad. Sometimes the stories were funny, sometimes they were poignant. Sometimes I really felt sorry for Halpern because, damn, his dad could be brutally honest. But the book works because his dad was never purposely cruel - it's obvious how much Sam loves his son. He was just telling the truth as he saw it and he wanted Justin to do the right thing.  Example: one time Justin faked the results of his science fair project and his dad (a scientist) made him publicly apologize to his teacher and to the class for being a disgrace to science. Unfortunately, now a days that parent might be thrown in jail for the public humiliation of their child, but to me that's just good parenting.
   So, if you're looking for an easy, funny book to get you through the dark Winter months, check out "Sh*t My Dad Says." It's worth the read.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment