Sunday, December 21, 2014

2014 Medal Recap!

   Unfortunately, this is going to be a pretty short post compared to past year's medal recaps. Due to training for IMCHOO, I didn't race that much this season and I especially didn't race longer distances (which are the ones that generally give out medals). However, I did sneak a few races in, so let's get to it.
   My first medal of the year was for the Little Rock Half Marathon in March.


   I know you can't tell from the photo, but this medal is huge. It's probably 4 inches in diameter - about the size of a saucer. Giant medals are what the Little Rock race is known for, and they don't disappoint. The full marathon's medal was about the size of a dinner plate. Seriously. It was ridiculous, but totally what I'd want after running a marathon.
   I liked this medal. Good quality, pretty heavy, and you can see (from the small bit that I have shown) that the ribbon carries the color scheme throughout. If I were going to choose a race strictly on the quality of the medal - this would be the race. (Race recap here.)




   This medal was unique in that it was optional.You had to pay more at registration if you wanted a medal. Since I'm from DC and this race has been on my bucket list for a while, I splurged the extra $$ and got the medal. I guess a lot of people don't read their registrations very well because I had about 10 people come up to me after the race and asked where I got my medal. Their loss because it's pretty nice. I could do without the outlines of the runners on the right hand side, but I like it otherwise. (Race recap here:)

   


   This was my first, and sadly only, REV3 race as the company was purchased last year by Challenge Triathlon. Top notch race experience in all respects, including the medal. Big, colorful, matching ribbon - what else could you want in a medal, right? But wait - there's more!


   I also happened to place 2nd in my age group. So, along with some really cool prizes, I got the above medal. You can't really see it, but it's engraved with "2nd Place."   


   If you put them together, you get this crazy, super medal!  It's awesome. Nice job REV3. (Race recap here.)



   This race was amazing. If you haven't done it, you really need to. It's a quirky little race on the border of Kentucky and West Virginia. The medal fits with the theme, but I didn't really like how the ribbon was kind of camo colors, and everything else was red, white and blue. No big deal, but I would have liked them to match.


   Everyone at Hatfield McCoy also got a mason jar. If you placed, you got a sticker on top of your jar. 


   Unfortunately, the label maker wasn't really working that day, so my sticker is a little rough, but it's the only time I've placed in a half-marathon so I love it. (Race recap here.)

   


   I loved this medal for its simplicity.  Sure, it's fun to have really colorful medals, but I thought the shiny silver was nice. I loved the purple ribbon, too. (Race recap here.)

  

    Here it is. The Big One. The quest for this medal took an entire year of planning and six months of training. I love it and don't care that there is a Little Debbie logo on it. Don't. Care. The only thing I would change is that is says that we did a 112 mile ride instead of a 116 mile ride. (Race recap here.)



   It's Hipster Santa! Very cute. I love how runners make up Santa's beard. I do wish there weren't quite so many logos, but I get that. Sponsors want to see their logo everywhere. I also wish the 5k had a separate medal. Again - I get it. One medal is a big cost savings, but there is a huge difference between a 5k and a half marathon. I think the medal should reflect that. But it's still cute.  (Race recap here.)

   So that's it for 2014. It's been a lot of fun and look forward to a great 2015!  

No comments:

Post a Comment