Wednesday, August 6, 2014

FTP Training Camp - Day 1

   This past weekend was FTP Chattanooga Ironman Training camp. If you're pressed for time and want a quick recap, here you go - It was awesome and I'm still tired three days later. For the longer recap, read on.


   Camp started Friday afternoon. I've never done any kind of triathlon camp like this previously. Heck - the only time I've ever been to camp in my life was cheerleading camp in high school. FTP did have a mini-camp locally last year, but I couldn't go to every event. Plus, it was local - not quite the same. This was going to be a full weekend of swimming, biking and running on the actual IM course. And while I knew It was going to be hard and hurt, I was really looking forward to it.
   I had made plans earlier to ride down and room with FTP teammate Nikki. She picked me up at 9:30 for the two-hour trek to Chattanooga.The trip down was uneventful, and we rolled into town with perfect timing - right before the first team meeting.  After a round of introductions (most of us knew each other, but there were a few new faces), and a rundown of the weekend schedule, we were off to our first event - a 4,000 yard swim!
   We headed over to a local pool where Coach Andrew had some lanes reserved for us. I'm so bummed I didn't bring my camera for this because the pool was next door to the Chattanooga Zoo! Prime photo opportunities just wasted because I didn't want to lose my phone. THIS is why I'll never be a photo journalist.  
   Anyway, the swim workout was something like this: Get in the pool. Swim. Now swim faster. And swim faster. Ok, slow it down a bit. Now swim as fast as you can. You get the point. 4,000 yards later (my longest swim EVER), we were done. Then we hit the slide on the other side of the pool - because we have to have SOME fun! 

4,000 yards!  BOOM!  (Disclaimer - this time includes rests.)

Swim, Bike, Run, Slide!!  

   After the swim, we headed back to the hotel for a quick change. On tap was a 6-8 mile run on the first half of the Ironman course. The first half is the "flat" part of the course, with most of it being on a greenway next to the river. I say it's the "flat" part, because the greenway definitely is flat. However, getting to the greenway is not. It's actually quite cruel because not only are there hills, but you have to climb stairs to get to the greenway. Really looking forward to running up those on race day. 
   The weather Friday afternoon was in the mid-80's with crazy humidity. Add that to the hills/stairs and you have a crazy hard run. My legs felt really heavy. (I actually think it was the humidity rather than the terrain, which gives me hope because it shouldn't be THAT humid on race day.) Fortunately, I had Nikki and a few other teammates to keep me company. Plus, FTP had a few aid stations along the way. Definitely needed and appreciated! We ended up with 7.5 miles. Not too bad.
   We were on our own for dinner, so Nikki and I headed over to J. Alexander's to eat. Not exactly close to downtown, but it IS the best restaurant in town. 
   Next up - Day 2 of Training Camp - The Bike Course!  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment