Monday, April 28, 2014

The Week That Was

   Nothing all that interesting went on with me personally this week, although it was a VERY exciting week for American running.  Last Monday was "Marathon Monday" - that's right, the date of the 118th Boston Marathon.  And, unless you've been living under a rock for the past week, or just really, really don't care about running, you know that an American - Meb Keflezighi - won Boston for the first time since 1983. What's even more amazing is that he's almost 39 years old. Blows my mind.

MEB!

   I wasn't one of the lucky ones who made it up to Boston to watch the race in person, but I was able to see the last few miles of the men's race thanks to the live-streaming of the race online. Being a huge fan of Meb's (I don't know anyone who isn't), I had tears in my eyes as I watched him run those last few miles. I almost turned the live feed off because I didn't think I could take it if he got passed in the final 100 meters. Fortunately, that didn't happen and Meb won...and the American running community just lost it. As I mentioned, I don't think there is a runner who DOESN'T like Meb. Not only is he an amazing athlete (Olympic Silver medalist, New York City Marathon winner), but he just seems to be a damn good guy. If you haven't already, I recommend reading his autobiography Run to Overcome. He has a pretty amazing story. And if that doesn't make you a fan, read this. Love that guy.
   A little bit closer to home was the Country Music Marathon. It was held Saturday in Nashville. I felt a little guilty because I not only did I not run, but I didn't even go cheer on the other runners! It's the biggest running event in Nashville, and I wasn't a part of it at all! So not like me, but you know - I had a bike ride to do. I'm in the "can't screw with my workouts" part of my Ironman training (only five months left!!), so if the schedule says to ride - I go ride. Dudley and I did, however, go to the East Nasty Post-Marathon Party. I mean, I have to have SOME fun.

ENFL!  (That's East Nasty for Life, for you non-Nashvillians.)

   Sunday, I had to get up and run 10 miles and then go an Open Water Master Class with my training group. I don't think I've ever been so tired as I was after that swim. I'm a little worried in that the open water kind of freaked me out. Not good, considering I have my first triathlon of the season in about three weeks. The water was pretty choppy and it was really cold, so maybe that's why I had such a hard time. Or maybe I was just really tired after two straight weeks of workouts without any rest days. I don't know. But I do know I need to get my head on straight or REV3 Knoxville won't be a fun experience.  
   Oh - one last thing - did you hear about all of the people who ran Boston with fake bib numbers? If not, read this and this. Apparently, the bandits took bib photos that people posted on social media, copied them and printed them off. Then they pinned them on and ran Boston like they qualified. Boston has a history of allowing bandits to run the race (without bib numbers) after all of the legitimate racers have started. They don't receive medals or any other perk of finishing the race, but they do get to run on the course. However, from what I understand Boston refused to let bandits run this year. So, people took it upon themselves to make fake numbers and run. They were found out when legitimate runners went to look up their official race photos and saw photos of people running with their bib numbers. I know many people who think that banditing a race is fine, but personally, I'm not a fan. I'm a very rules-orientated person, some would say too much of one. Heck - I don't even like changing corrals because I don't want to get yelled at. But I thought this was an interesting story, especially since people were able to track down the bandits from the posted photos. It seems that one poor girl was getting so much harassment that she deleted all of her online profiles. I guess the moral of the story is 1) Don't bandit Boston and 2) Don't piss off runners. THEY WILL FIND YOU.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment