Sunday, May 12, 2013

Stupid Ankle

   So when we last met, my ankle looked like this:


   That was two weeks ago, directly after the Nike Women's Half Marathon. To this day, I have no idea how this happened. It appeared to be a mild sprain because I could run, walk, ride and jump on it with no problems. The only thing I couldn't really do was rotate it. Then it would hurt. Not bad - but just enough to think "Hmm - maybe I shouldn't do that anymore."
   Even though my ankle didn't hurt, I played it careful and took that first week after the race off almost completely (only swimming).  It was swollen almost the entire week, but finally went back to normal after six days. Then this past Monday, I added cycling back in to my routine with no issues. I rode and swam a few more times - no problem. I was planning on adding some light running in this week and then "racing" the Memphis in May triathlon on Sunday. "Racing" is in quotes because I'd really only race the swim and bike. The run would be more of a run/walk, dependent on how my ankle held up.
   Then yesterday, I decided to do some greatly-needed yard work. Nothing too crazy, but I did have to dig up some things and used my foot to assist the shovel. Apparently, that was enough to flare up whatever injury was lurking because guess who has a swollen ankle again?! Sigh.
   To say that I'm very annoyed and frustrated is an understatement. Fortunately, it's not as swollen as it was previously, and I still don't have any pain. But - it definitely puts a damper on any training I wanted to do before Memphis. I'm especially hating not being able to run. I was getting to the point where I felt I was really making progress - and now I feel like I'm going backwards. Of course, there is also the issue that I'm not the type of person who can "take it easy" for too long. I like being active and being outside. Sitting inside on a beautiful day with my ankle wrapped and set on a bunch of pillows, pretty much sucks. I feel like I need to go do 100 pushups to compensate for it.
   So all of you non-injured people - go enjoy the day for me. Go for a run or a ride. Go plant a tree or take your dog to the park. Whatever. Just get out there and do something and appreciate how lucky you are. Next time I'm out there, I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment