Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Time to Get Serious

   Play time if over.  Time to start REALLY training.  Don't get me wrong - Andrew and Jessica at FTP have been kicking my butt during the off-season - and it's been paying off.  I've gotten a PR in a recent 5k AND I'm getting faster in my swim.  It's just that I haven't really been training with an end-goal in mind; so therefore no detailed spreadsheets counting down the weeks to a race and no daily diary of how I felt after each workout.  A part of me loves the freedom in this.  Just to work out and then race and see what happens.  But the detail-orientated spreadsheet geek in me is kind of freaking out.  Especially with Augusta slowly sneaking up on me.  So it's time to get serious now.   I'm not sure what that will entail yet, but I'm sure it will include spreadsheets.
   On a side note, Dudley, me and the crew from FTP rode the CRAM (Clarksville Rotary Annual Metric) on Saturday.  This ride (along with it's sister ride on Memorial Day) is somewhat legendary because it's FLAT, FLAT, FLAT.  Though it's named after the metric - there is also a century ride.  People travel from all over the country to try to break a 4:00 century.  If fact, I think the national PR for a century was done on this course.  However, we only did the metric - which was enough on a 95-degree day.  Good news is that I felt great.  The longest I had ridden this year was 40-miles, so I wasn't sure how 62 was going to feel.  But it was really a lot of fun.  Had a great open-water swim on Sunday, too.  Maybe only swam 1,500 meters, but that really helps with my mental state.

Next up - Mach Tenn!  YIKES

No comments:

Post a Comment