Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What's Next?

   So, in case you're brand new to my blog, I have an Ironman in 18 days. My first. I should really be focusing on that, right? And I am...believe me, I am. However, I can't help but think about what's next?  I mean, I've been planning for this Ironman for over a year. OVER A YEAR! That's crazy. For that entire time, I haven't had to think about any fitness goals, as Ironman was always there - looming in the distance. But now it's here, and I'm looking at my October schedule...and it has nothing on it. No races, no training. Nothing. It's kind of freaking me out.
   Yes, I'll take some time off immediately after the race to recover, but I know me. That will maybe last a week - two at the most. While I won't immediately go back into serious training, I won't let too much moss grow under my feet before I'm back on the roads or in the pool.
   The question is now - what to do? And how soon? I've toyed with the idea of seriously training for a marathon - maybe try to get into Chicago next year? What about an Ultra? Nothing crazy like a 50-miler, but I might be able to handle a 50k... You don't really run those fast, right? I could probably handle it if I didn't have to run fast. I still want to hit a race in every state, but I've run most of the "close" states. Most of the ones I'm looking at now require flights, which requires taking time off of work. That might be an issue, however, I should be able to cross off a few more states (I'm looking at you Mississippi Blues and Cincinnati Flying Pig). Maybe an endurance swim (5k) or a crazy, long cycling event like RAGBRI (Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa)? Or dare I say, another Ironman? Ugh - too many choices!! If anyone has a "must do" race or event that I can use as a new training goal, please let me know! I'm open to suggestions!!
   18 days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment