Saturday, January 30, 2016

What's Kristine Reading? January Edition

   It's hard to believe the first month of the year is over. It's crazy how quickly time passes. The good news is that I read five books in January so I'm starting off the year a book ahead of schedule! That never happens!
   The most recent book I read (finished it last night), is called "The Bookseller" by Cynthia Swanson.


   Based in the early 1960's, "The Bookseller" is the story of Kitty Miller, a single thirty-something who runs a bookstore with her best friend Frieda. Kitty starts having vivid, and strangely realistic, dreams of what her life would have been like if she went the (then) more traditional route of marriage and kids. Have you ever seen the Gwyneth Paltrow movie "Sliding Doors?" "The Bookseller" is kind of like that. Two parallel stories of one woman's life, one of Kitty, the single bookseller, and the other of Katharyn, the married homemaker. As the book goes on, the lines between the two worlds of Kitty / Katharyn blur, and it's up to her to figure out what is real, and what isn't.
   While not great literature, I enjoyed this book. I had a bout of insomnia last night and was able to knock it out in about four hours. It's a very easy read, and it kept my interest the entire time. It also kind of makes you stop and think about how little things can change the trajectory of your entire life. Example: what would have happened if I didn't go to the party where I met my husband? I almost didn't go. Where would I be now if I chose to stay home that day? 
   I do have a few issues with some points in the plot, especially in Katharyn's married-life storyline, but as I said, it's not great literature and I'm not expecting perfection. And considering this is Ms. Swanson's first novel, I'm willing to overlook a few plot holes. If you're looking for an easy, interesting read that isn't your stereotypical beach read, I think you'd like "The Bookseller."

No comments:

Post a Comment