Monday, January 14, 2013

The Coldest Run Ever

   Just a short little follow-up from last night's post. I did make it to my 5:30 am run with FTP this morning. Fortunately, it wasn't raining. Unfortunately, it was SO cold I almost couldn't run. I know that technically, the Mercedes Half Marathon was colder since that was 20 degrees with a 13 degree wind chill. However, today felt worse, even though it was 10 degrees warmer. Not sure why I thought those 10 degrees would make a difference, because anything below freezing is, well, freezing. But it was miserable out there.
   On tap for today was a one-mile warm up, then three one-mile repeats at near threshold (which for me is about an 8:15 mile), and then a one-mile cool down. I generally warm up after I start running, but today, running made me colder. I guess it's because I'm SO FAST! (HA!) My face got so cold that I felt like I had just come from the dentist and had a mouth full of Novocaine. I could barely form words - my mouth just wouldn't work. And that wonderful ventilation in my Newtons (yes, I'm back in my Newtons!) that I love in the summer? Well, that just freezes your feet in the Winter, especially when you step in a puddle - and there were LOTS of those out here this morning.
   So the good news is that I finally made a Monday morning workout. The bad news is that I possibly might have lost my little toe from frostbite. Oh, the sacrifices we "athletes" make for our sports!


I'm fighting cancer through Team in Training.  Click below to help!
http://pages.teamintraining.org/tn/nikewhlf13/kmylls

No comments:

Post a Comment