Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 1 and I've Already Messed Up!

   Ok, well, maybe not "messed up," but I'm off my schedule already and it's just the first day!  As it can be assumed, I didn't make my spin class this morning.  But not for the standard reason of "I'm too tired," which is good because that would really be lame of me this early into the training.  No, I didn't go because I'm a little injured.
   What I haven't mentioned yet is that I'm scheduled to run a 1/2 marathon in two weeks - the Shamrock Half in VA Beach with some of my besties from college (GO GEORGE MASON!!).  Anyway, I ran a 10-miler yesterday with my running group (East Nasty - I'll be writing about them A LOT).  It seems that I have a weird injury that only occurs when I run 10+ miles.  Nothing too serious - more like an upper-quad strain.  It only hurts when I'm climbing stairs, running hills or, you guessed it - riding a bike.  So no spin class for me.  I know that it might seem weak to give up so quickly on a workout, but the last thing I want is to really injure myself.  I've been exercising enough to know the difference between what's a minor annoyance and can be pushed through and when something has the potential to get worse.  This injury is definitely the latter of the two.
   BUT - to make up for it I did go for my first swim after my run today.  However, the Triathlon Gods seemed to be against me today because I somehow lost my goggles from this morning to this evening when I went to go swim.  NOT COOL.  If you've never swam (swum? gone swimming?) in a YMCA pool without goggles - DON'T.  Chlorine stings.  Bad.  So it was really just the kick-board for me, which was fine for the first time back since August.
   I also watched some "real" swimmers who were able to do the turnarounds at the end of the lanes and used all sort of handflipper-like contraptions to help them swim.  Note to self - find out what those things are.  Probably need to get some!
   So tomorrow - I'm attempting the spin class again, depending on my injury.  Also planning on doing some speedwork during my lunch hour at a local park.  Not a fan of working out over lunch but I have book group tomorrow night so I can't work out then.  The thought of speedwork makes me want to puke a little too, but it works so I need to just shut up and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment