Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Peak Training

   So, I'm in the middle of my peak training weeks - the high volume ones that hit right before taper. And, I have to say again - it's not that bad. Yes, I probably made a mistake by moving in the middle of my peak training. As if I wasn't going to be tired enough from working and training, I'm having to unpack at 9:00 PM because that's the only time I'm able to unpack. So, for all of you future Ironmen out there - don't do that. I'm exhausted ALL the time. But if I only had to work and train, I think I'd be OK, as training workload is pretty tolerable.
  Last weekend, I had a five and a half hour ride on Saturday (Sidebar: I think it's interesting how some coaches assign training by hours, and others by mileage.), which ended up being 95 miles for me. Yes, I was really tempted to just ride another five miles for an even century, but my assignment was for a 5:30 ride, so I did a 5:30 ride. I'm weird like that. After the ride, I borrowed teammate Paul's Podium Legs, which uses compression for leg recovery. They felt awesome.

THIS CLOSE to a century...

Who can rock some Podium Legs?  I CAN rock some Podium Legs! 

   On Sunday, I had a 2:30 run. I met up with Melanie, Kim and Jessica in my old running grounds, Concord Park. Unfortunately, they only had seven miles on their schedules, so I only ran with them for part of my run, but it was great to have the company. Unfortunately, a huge storm hit while I was out for my second loop and I got drenched. DRENCHED! I pretty much just ran through the whole storm. I stopped for a while and then figured since I was already wet, I may as well keep going. People huddling under shelters looked at me like I was crazy.
   My swims have been fine. I'm consistently swimming 3,000 yards / meters (depending on the pool) now. That's a weird thought. The 3,000 distance just seems really far. But I'll be swimming 4,224 yards on Ironman day, so I need to get used to it. On a positive note - I know some people who went down and swam the IMCHOO course last Saturday. They all said the swim was fast, which is good. That run is going to be really hard, so it would be nice if there were some current on the swim to help us out.
   This weekend, I'm doing the HOT100 century, which is a charity ride based in Murfreesboro. Dudley and I have done this ride in the past, though never the full century. It's supposed to be over 100 degrees on Saturday. That should be interesting. I've already started hydrating.
   38 Days!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment