Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Little Rock Half Marathon Race Report - Part 1

   Last Sunday was the Little Rock Half Marathon. Though I won't be able to focus too much on my quest to run in all 50 states this year because of Ironman training, this race was early enough in the season for me to run. I was really looking forward to it because I've heard nothing but great things about this race. I was told that Little Rock really embraces the race and the whole city supports it. Apparently, it's not unheard of for the Governor to come out to cheer on the racers as they run by his house. I think that's pretty cool. This race is also known for its GIANT medals. Like ridiculously huge. It's kind of their thing. Who wouldn't want a giant medal?
   We left at 7:00 am on Saturday. For whatever reason, I was convinced that Little Rock was five hours away. Turns out - it's six. Not a huge difference, but that extra hour lasted forever. When we finally arrived, we decided to go directly to the expo, which was downtown. One of the first things we saw when we rolled in was this:

Little Rock LOVES their marathon, y'all.

and then you saw these all over downtown:

  Just in case you didn't know there was a race in town.

   The expo was at the Convention Center. Unlike most expos that funnel you through the packet pickup when you first walk in the room, the Little Rock race had theirs in the back of the building. Don't think I can't see what you did there, Little Rock Expo. It's kind of like grocery stores that put food staples like milk and bread on opposite sides of the store so it's impossible to run in and out without walking through the entire store. If you HAVE to walk through the expo, you'll be more likely to shop at the expo vendors. Very sneaky... Or it could just be that it was better logistically to have the packet pickup in the back of the building. What do I know?
   Anyway, we successfully picked up our packets, and as any normal racer does, immediately checked out the race shirt. This would be a good time to mention that the Little Rock race has a different theme every year.  I love me a themed race. This year, the race had a Superhero theme and had the catchphrase of "EPIC!" Let me tell you, the Little Rock Marathon EMBRACES a theme, y'all, and does not let it go. Seriously. You saw "EPIC" everywhere.

T-shirt and bib number. 

Random poster around town.

There were, of course, a lot of Superhero references at the expo, as well.

Kathy and I taking a photo op with some sort of Superhero leaping over the State Capitol Building.

And, of course, Spider-Man was there.

   We totally fell into the labyrinth that was this expo, and immediately started buying a whole bunch of stuff that we didn't need. Seriously. This wasn't one of those times when I forgot something and was thankful for the expo so I could pick it up. No - we just went on a freakin' spending spree! Though Dudley and I both already have compression sleeves, we both got more. I also got GU (Salted Caramel - OMG!), Body Glide, a head band to match the shirt I was planning on wearing on race day, and some instant heat things that a salesman talked me into getting. I have to say though, the heat thing felt amazing on my neck while standing around the expo. I fully expect it to break after a few uses, but whatever. I just can't help myself - I go to an expo and I HAVE to buy something!  See, Little Rock Expo - you don't have to hide your packet pickup in the back of the building! I'll buy a ton of crap anyway! Actually, I did get the headband for free. Basically, the guy got tired ringing stuff up, so he just gave it to me. True story.

Seriously, I didn't need any of this. Sigh.
   It was about 2:30 by now, so we left to go get something to eat. Having never been in Little Rock before, we had no idea where to go, but we figured something HAD to be downtown, so we just started wandering. Guess who pretty much has the same restaurants as Nashville...Little Rock. Want to go to Bocso's? They have one. How about Flying Saucer? Have one of those, too. So we headed over to the Saucer (their pretzels with cheese are amazing) for a little lunch. OF COURSE, they had a "WELCOME RUNNERS!" sign on their door. Because everyone loves the marathon here!
   After lunch, we decided to walk down the street a little more and check out the city. You know what else Little Rock loves besides their marathon? Bill Clinton. The guy is everywhere.

Oh, hey Bill!

There he is again...and again and again.

And the obligatory street sign.

   There were some other non-Bill Clinton sights, too.  The have a really cool River Market, which unbeknownst to us at the time, would come to play an important role in our lives on race day. 


   We wandered around enough that we happened to stumble upon the starting line. Well, it wasn't that hard - it was on the same street as the restaurant, but it was still pretty cool to see.

The EPIC starting line.

Me and Dudley. Note the "Elite Corral" sign. This will be the last time I'm in an Elite Corral.

   By this time, we were all tired and we needed to check-in to our hotel rooms, so we started to head back to the car. We were almost there, when I saw what I thought was a dachshund, which was cool because we have one. After getting a closer look, I realized that it wasn't a doxie, but a CORGI PUPPY, which was even better because who doesn't love a Corgi puppy?!! Being the geek I am, I walked right up to the owner and said that we have two Corgis at home and asked if I could play with her dog. Yes, I'm a grown woman and I did this. 

How cute is this dog?!  

   It was possibly one of the best pre-race / expo days I've ever had. Between the free headband and the Corgi puppy, I felt that luck was on my side. I knew race day was going to be great!

To be continued...







 

No comments:

Post a Comment