Thursday, March 27, 2014

10K Made Easy!

   So yesterday, I was in the office break room, killing time while I'm heating up my random frozen glob that I'm going to have for lunch (appetizing, eh?), when I came across a magazine that had been left in there by a co-worker. Self Magazine to be exact - February 2014 edition. Figuring I could find 2:30 minutes of entertainment in the magazine, I opened it up. Surprisingly, it opened right up to an article about running a 10k AND had a pull-out training calendar! Of course, I HAD to check it out, especially since my last post was about running a 5K.
   Now, I'm assuming that the target audience of this article is supposed to be a non-runner. Self isn't a running magazine, it's a general lifestyle magazine that promotes "health, fitness, nutrition, beauty and happiness." Unfortunately, while I want to support anything encourages people to start running and maintain a healthy lifestyle, I had a few issues with this article.
  The first thing that struck me was the title of the article - "10K Made Easy!" Sweet! Because anyone who runs knows how easy it is, right? I mean, it's only 6.2 miles. I can pretty much do that in my sleep! (Right...) The article then states that the 6.2 miler is the new "It" distance - so great... now I have to worry about how cool my race distance is? My favorite distance is the half-marathon - am I not hip? And even worse, the article then says that by running a 10K, you can earn "serious bragging rights (unlike with a shorty 5K)." Really, Self? REALLY? It's bad enough that you're stating that my race distance isn't fashionable, but do you have to diminish the accomplishments of those who are running 5Ks? I've run some REALLY HARD 5K's (East Nashville Tomato 5K, anyone?). Shouldn't you be celebrating the fact that people are out there running at all, rather than shaming them because they're not running far enough?
   I then opened up their pull-out training calendar, which will train me to run a 10K with only three workouts a week - an easy run, a speed run and a long run. OK- I'm good with that. Three workouts a week is a reasonable number for a beginner. But that's where all logic ended.
   Y'all - the training calendar was only four weeks long. FOUR WEEKS! Every 5k training program I've coached as been at least eight weeks. Our local running store has a 10K training program that is 12-weeks. And, the very first run for this program was a three-miler! Remember - this is in a lifestyle magazine, not a running magazine. Nowhere in the article did it say that this program was for experienced runners. Isn't it a bit of an assumption that the average reader can go out and run three miles on their first time out, even if they're fit from other exercise? I know I wouldn't have been able to and I was an avid cyclist when I started running.
   So then, I got into the race-day "insider" tips. Cool - I love insider tips! While there were some good ones like to not eat a huge breakfast and to pace yourself, some of them just made me laugh. As much as the training program was designed for an experienced runner, these tips were seemed targeted more towards women who started running because a 10K is the "It" race and they want to be trendy.  Example - "Super cute ribbon hair ties make better bracelets than pony tail holders," and that I should use regular elastic bands... Ok - I guess that could be helpful...I guess. Also mentioned is that I should wear a low-ponytail rather than a high-pony. Now, THAT is a hard-core race tip, my friends. Forget about what kind of shoes you should get - worry about that ponytail!
   Another one of my favorite tips was to blend my go-to foundation with 50 SPF sunblock and wear water-proof mascara so I'll look good in my race photos. WHAT? I'm confused - am I supposed to be racing or posing for a photo shoot?  I'm sorry, but if you're actually making an effort, there is no such thing as a good race photo (with very few exceptions). There's even a rundown of awful race photos on Tumblr. If you want to wear make up on race day, that's your choice, but don't think it'll help with your photos. You should always wear sunscreen, though.
   One other tip about water stations just made me mad. "Don't feel guilty about football-spiking that Dixie cup afterward, either. It's not littering if you're racing!" Ha Ha! Hey - let's trash up the water station as much as possible! We don't have to clean it up! Leave it to those suckers, I mean, volunteers! They'll clean up my mess! Come on! Now, have I missed the trash can while I'm going through a water stop? Of course, I have. But I try not to be a jerk and at least TRY to get the cup in the general vicinity of the trash and I always throw it away before leaving the water station area.
    While I'm happy that Self is promoting running in their magazine, and if this article got even one person running, then they deserve applause. However, I think they really missed a good opportunity by publishing this article. It seems that most experienced runners would be put off by the article's overall attitude of "10K's are easy and hip! And don't we look good while we're running?!" While a newer runner would try that training program, get discouraged or injured within the first two weeks, and quit before race day.
   What I think is interesting is that this Self article was written by their fitness editor, who apparently is a marathoner. She should know better than to chastise people for "only" running a 5K, or to tell people that leaving their trash all around the race course is an acceptable thing to do. What's even MORE interesting is that this same magazine just came under fire for a more recent issue that made fun of a cancer survivor who wore a tutu at a marathon. So, what is it, Self? It's ok to care about hair and makeup at races, but someone wearing a tutu in a marathon isn't serious enough of a runner for you? Really? Maybe the next time you write about running, you write an article that promotes all runners, rather than making them feel bad about what distance they run or what they wear. (Well, except boy shorts. You can rip apart boy shorts - those things just need to go away) .
   See you on the roads!  

No comments:

Post a Comment