Friday, March 22, 2013

What? It's Race Season? Already?!

   It's March and officially the end of the off-season. Which means my first triathlon is right around the corner. As in Sunday. Which is two days from now.
   Yes, yes...in TWO days, I'll be swimming, biking and running my little heart out all over the Middle Tennessee State University campus. One of their sororities, Alpha Delta Pi, has a charity triathlon and I'm in it. (Sidebar - how cool is it that a sorority has a triathlon?! I'm sure my sorority had fundraisers, but they were probably bake sales. Pretty much the OPPOSITE of a triathlon. But anyway...)

They even have a catchy name - ADPi-athon!

   The kicker is with this race is that I'm nowhere near prepared - either mentally or physically. Sort of like the NOLA Half-Marathon from a few weeks back, but even more so because there are three sports. Now, this is completely my fault. Did I obey the workouts that Andrew from FTP so diligently planed for us every week? Ummm - no. Here's kind of how that all went down.
 
How I talked myself out of swimming:
   Good, Motivated Me: "Hmm - the schedule says I'm supposed to swim in the morning."
   Evil, Lazy Me: "But it's cold! And the swim is EARLY! You worked the Preds game last night! Aren't you tired?"
   Good Me: "Yes, I'm tired, but I should really go."
   Evil Me: "But the smell of chlorine makes you sick. And it's not like you have a race on the schedule."
   Good Me: "True..."

How I talked myself out of cycling:
   Good Me: "I need to get a ride in."
   Evil Me: "But it's cold."
   Good Me: "I can get on the trainer."
   Evil Me: "But the trainer sucks."
   Good Me: "True..."

   While it's true that my day job went into hyperdrive over the past few months AND my second job kicked in full-swing (so I'm not a COMPLETE slacker), the sad fact is that the number of times I've been to the pool and/or been on the bike since the Augusta Half-Ironman is in the single-digits. The good news is the Evil Me never talks me out of running, so I'll have that part down. I'm still not "fast," but I'm faster, so I'm happy about that. And fortunately, it's a sprint tri: 300 meter swim, 10 mile bike and a 3.14 mile run (3.14 as in Pi...for Alpha Delta Pi.  Cute, huh?), so while it'll be a painful race - the pain won't last that long...I hope.
    So LOOK OUT Alpha Delta Pi-athon! I'm gunning for you! Well, sort of. At least I'll get a t-shirt out of it.
   And though I've met my $5,000 goal, cancer doesn't stop, so neither do it. Please help my fight against blood cancers by clicking here. THANKS! http://pages.teamintraining.org/tn/nikewhlf13/kmylls


1 comment: