Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Probably Shouldn't Say This...

   But I'm kind of thinking I want to do a marathon. Which is weird because I don't really like the actual act of running. Yes, I know - I run all the time. But it's pretty much misery the entire time I'm out there. I've never had the "runner's high" or have gotten to the point where running seems to be getting easier. Sure - I'm getting faster (officially a member of the East Nasty 9:00-9:30 pace group - BAM!), but running is always hard for me. Three miles or ten - it's tough. However, while I don't really like running - I do LOVE races!!  Totally different things.
   So why a marathon? Well, it would definitely be a challenge. And after my last Half-Ironman, I need a new challenge. NO - a full Ironman isn't an option at this point. Funny thing is that the marathon is what's holding me back from a full Ironman. Maybe if I tackle what I consider to be the hardest thing first, a full IM wouldn't seem so out of reach.  
   Plus, magazines, blogs and my friends just make marathons look like so much FUN! Yes, I know. That's crazy. And you can get that same experience from a half-marathon...but the marathoners get different medals! And sometimes more swag! Don't mock - medals and swag are important.
   I'm still very undecided about this, but I'm kind of doing some research on what race I'd like to do. Marine Corps would be awesome - it's in DC, which is my hometown so I'd be able to visit with my parents and friends. Huntsville is close and lots of friends say it's a great, smaller race, and I love small-town races. I do think that IF I decide to do a full, it needs to be a race where only a full is offered. I think if I did a race that offers both and the half marathoners peel off to the finish at mile 11, I'd be too tempted to join them. Or pissed that I was stupid enough to sign up for a full. Probably more pissed.
   Anyway, just what I'm thinking as a possibility for 2013. Tomorrow we leave for the St. Jude's Half Marathon in Memphis. I love this race and I'm really excited for it!  Race report on Monday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment