Monday, November 5, 2012

Hoover Run for Hope

   This past Saturday, I did the Hoover Run for Hope 10k and 5k with Dudley and my FTP training buddy Kathy. We used both races as a training run for the Memphis Half-Marathon, which is about a month away. This race is put on every year in honor of Liam Hoover, who lost his fight against pediatric cancer. Proceeds from the race help raise awareness and research funding for childhood cancer.  Great cause - great race.  I'll definitely be doing it again.


   There were two sets of racers that stood out to me in this race. First off was Speedy Chick. I have no idea who she is, but you know the type - super fit, wears bootie shorts (which you can get away with if you're super fit), singlet and arm warmers while everyone else is all bundled up...  She just LOOKS fast.  In fact, I told Kathy before the race started, "And there's our winner, right there." And she did win.  Not just her age group, or master's division (yes, she was over 40), or even the women's race. She won the whole thing.  Twice. Yes, she won the 10k AND the 5k.  Sub 6:00 miles for both races.  Kudos to you, Speedy Chick.
   The second set were the speed walkers. There were two of them in the 5k. When we first started the 5k, I saw one. I admit, I thought "aww - a speed walker." And then, when we didn't get any closer, I thought "wow - that guy can sure walk fast." I then made it a goal to pass him. Not that we were trying to kill the course, but come on - he's WALKING. How hard could it be to pass him?  Well, harder than I care to admit. And when we finally DID pass him, what did we see but ANOTHER speed walker in front of him!  Seriously? We ended up passing her too, but they both were going a VERY impressive pace. We ended up talking to the both of them on the way back to our cars. Turns out - they're both either ranked in the state (him) or nationally (her) for speed walking / power walking.  (There is a difference between the two - who knew?) They were both very fit. I don't know anything about that sport, but I bet it's perfect for someone who can't run due to injury.
   As stated before, we used this race as a training run. We didn't even pick up our timing chips before the race, so we don't have an official time. But we had a great morning in beautiful weather supporting a wonderful cause. It doesn't get much better than that.
   For more about the Hoover Hope Foundation - go here: http://www.hooverhope.org

UPDATE: I have since learned that Speedy Chick is actually a local athlete (and mother of two!) who happens to be the U.S. Masters Champion in the 1,500 meters and has qualified for the Olympic Trials.  Very impressive resume.  I had no idea we had talent like that in the Nashville area.  Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment