Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2015 Medal Recap

   Unfortunately, this isn't going to be a very long post - I didn't race that much in 2015.  However, the races I did do were pretty cool, so let's recap:

Mississippi Blues Half Marathon (January):


   The Mississippi Blues race is known for their unique medals, which makes it popular on the 50-state running tour.  I think the medals all have a guitar theme, but they're different every year.  I really liked this year's. It was pretty heavy too. Made you feel like you accomplished something when you got this thing.

Tom King Half Marathon (March):


   Yeah...so I didn't actually do this race.  In fact- no one did.  It was cancelled due to unsafe conditions on the trail (flooding), so everyone did the 5k and received the half-marathon medals. Wasn't going to post it, but thought someone might be interested in seeing what the medals looked like since it's a popular local race.  I think it's the same every year, but with a different colored ribbon.  The same design is on the shirt.

Music City Half Marathon (March):


   Not my favorite medal of the year, but it's not bad. I guess that it's just a little generic. I actually think what bugs me the most about it is that there isn't a date or even a year on it. When I'm old and senile, I'll have no idea when I did this race. And let's be honest, that could be as soon as next year.

Oak Barrel Half Marathon (April)


   As always, Oak Barrel has one of the coolest medals of the year. Nuff said. 

Ironman Chattanooga 70.3 (May):


   The Ironman organization usually has good medals, and this one was no exception. I kind of wish they would move away from the Choo Choo theme though. My Ironman medal from last year had at train theme, as well as the same color scheme. It would have been nice if IM changed it up a bit between the races.

Mach Tenn Triathlon (June):


   Mach Tenn doesn't give out medals, but this is my age group award. Yes, I'm posting this here because I actually won my age group and I still can't believe it. Plus, I like the plate.


Peachtree Road Race (July)


   The Peachtree Road Race doesn't have a medal that is given at the end of the race - you have to buy it. Kind of surprising considering how big the race is (it's the largest 10K in the world), but it was just a 10K.  Most 10K races I've done don't give out medals.  But I bought one (you order them when your register) because I like medals and I doubt I'll be doing this race again so it's a nice momento.  I dig it. It's very patriotic, as the race was on the 4th of July, and the middle parts rotate. 

Chicago Marathon (October):


   Here it is - my first marathon medal. It's not as blingy as I would have liked, but it's not bad. A silver medal that features a giant silver bean just has a lot of silver on it. I probably would have picked a different landmark had I been designing the medal, but that's just me. I just kept thinking of the people who didn't know what The Bean was. They probably looked at the medal and wondered why there was a giant blob on their medal. Plus, I thought it was a little small for a marathon medal, however since it was my first marathon - I love it.

Marine Corps Marathon (October):



   Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. That's a medal with flair. I love this medal. It's pretty big and has a lot going on. Probably my favorite medal of the year. OORAH!  


Hope you enjoyed my recap! Looking forward to a great year of racing in 2016!


No comments:

Post a Comment