Monday, December 1, 2014

Winter Blues

   Sorry, but this is going to be a giant whine-fest. Feel free to keep reading, but you can't say I didn't warn you...
   I'm officially over Winter. Yes, I know it's not Winter yet, but I'm done. I've already suffered through snow twice this season while traveling and it's December 1st. Thanks to the time change, it's dark outside whenever I want to run or ride. And you can forget about swimming. Pretty much the last thing I want to do on a chilly morning is get my butt out of bed at 5:00 am and jump in a cold pool. Nope. Just don't want to do it.
   I know I go through a similar funk every year, but this year seems worse. Generally, I don't get like this until January. You know - actual Winter. However, this year, I'm throughly annoyed and it's still technically Fall. I think a part of it is that we moved a few months ago, and it's about 15 degrees cooler in this house than the last one. It's like we live in a cave. It's stupid cold and all I want to do is wrap up in a blanket and watch sappy Christmas movies. Or true crime stories on ID. Either one. Just don't make me go outside.
   While there is a part of me that says "You're in the off-season, just relax a bit," I know I need to break out of this funk ASAP. I have a couple of half marathons on the horizon (including one this weekend!) and the Ironman Chattanooga 70.3 in May. Believe me, it's a lot more fun to do a Half Ironman when fully-prepared, than to just fake your way through one. I faked my way though Goosepond 70.3 two years ago, and I'm still having nightmares about it.
   I will probably have to fake my way throughout this weekend's half marathon though. It's Team Magic's TN Sports Medicine Mt. Juliet Holiday Half Marathon. For the love of all that is good, I hope it's flat. If you're not doing anything Saturday afternoon, you should come out. There's a half marathon and a 5k if running is your thing. Plus, there's a Christmas parade after, if you just want to hang out. Either way - come on down!
  See you on the roads (if I can force myself out there)!

No comments:

Post a Comment