Sunday, June 1, 2014

It's Gettin' Hot In Here...

   OK, maybe I should actually change that to "It's Gettin' How Out There," because it is. Summer has officially begun in Nashville, and with that, so has the humidity. And it's brutal.
   Today, I had an 11-mile run on my schedule with certain paces assigned for each mile. I knew it was going to be hot out, and had every intention to start my run at 6:00 AM, when it was a little cooler. Unfortunately though, I've been having a bit of insomnia recently and I was FINALLY able to sleep last night. When I tried to get up at 5:30, I was still really tired and decided to catch up on my sleep a bit, so I went back to bed. And while that felt AWESOME, it meant I started my run around 11:30...when it was 84 degrees out.
   Those of you who run with me know that I wilt like a delicate flower when I run in heat. Well, actually, rather than a delicate flower, I'm more of a gross, sweaty mess, but you get the idea. I don't do well in heat. But even knowing this, I thought I'd give it a go. I need to acclimate to the heat at some point, right?
   Nope. No, I don't. I decided that today when I ran one mile and almost melted into a puddle. Instead, I went to the Y and ran in their cardio cinema. That's right - THAT'S how much I hate running in the heat. I'd rather run for an hour and a half on a treadmill than run outside in 84 degree weather. Call me a wuss, if you want. I. Don't. Care. I'd rather get my miles and at least attempt to hit my set paces, than run for three miles, get overheated and slog through the remaining miles.
   Of course, the wild card in this plan is what movie the Y is playing in their cardio cinema. Today, it was that Hugh Jackman movie where he fights a robot. Not exactly my first choice for a movie, but it's not bad. At least it wasn't "Mr. Holland's Opus" again, which I actually love, but I cry every freakin' time I see that movie. Do you know how hard it is to run while you're crying? VERY.
   So, I guess as of today, I'm only running in the early, early mornings. Sigh. It's going to be a long Summer.
   Happy Training! See you on the roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment