Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I May or May Not Have Done Something Really Stupid



   Yeah - that's right.  I kind of signed up for an Ironman.  Ok - well, not "kind of," I DID sign up for an Ironman.  For you non-triathletes, that's 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of riding and 26.2 miles of running for a grand total of 140.6 miles.
   Have I ever swam/biked/run ANY of those distances previously? Nope. Am I crazy?  Possibly. Am I scared? Terrified, actually. But I never want "being afraid" to be the reason for me to not do something.  (Well, except skydiving. THOSE people are crazy.)
   The good news is that I probably know 20-40 people in the Nashville area who will also be doing this race. I'll have training buddies galore. Plus, with Chattanooga being only 2-hours away, I expect several trips there to ride and run the race course.  And I know that Andrew and Jessica at FTP Coaching will whip my butt into shape. Barring any injuries, I should be more than prepared physically to finish an Ironman (i.e. no time goal. Just get me across the line under 17 hours). Being prepared mentally is a totally different thing. I'm sure I'll have my ups and downs over the next year, but I'm excited to take the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment