Friday, May 3, 2013

Nike Women's Half Race Recap - Part 2

   After a long day of running around the Nike expotique and Niketown, we all headed back to the hotel for a short rest before the TNT Inspiration Dinner that night. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society was the beneficiary of the race, so there were A LOT of TNTers there. So many that the LLS had to have two separate dinners to accommodate everyone.  The Tennessee Team dinner was the early seating at 4:00. So at around 3:30, we all headed down to the Washington DC Convention Center, which was where the dinner was being held. One thing (of many) I love about DC - you can pretty much walk anywhere. We just followed the sea of purple TNT shirts all the way to the dinner.
   The dinner was in the big convention hall on the bottom floor of the Center. They separated us into two lines when entering the space. So. Many. People! And I'd never seen so much purple in my life. Probably 90% of the people there had a TNT shirt on. It was easy to pick out the newbies, myself included, because we were the only ones in regular clothes. Everyone was clapping and cheering while we were waiting in line to enter. Some people brought cowbells and I was totally jealous. I love me some cowbell.

The dinner line in front of me.

And behind...
      
   After about about a 10 minute wait (not bad at all considering how many people were there, we made our way down into the event space. No words can truly describe our entrance into the dinner. (And, unfortunately, my video won't upload.) But picture coming down a giant stairwell and walking though a tunnel of people in purple yelling, screaming and clapping...for you. It was like we were rockstars or professional athletes. It was extremely cool and set a great tone for the rest of the evening.
   After we made it through the tunnel, we immediately went over to the buffet, got our pasta dinner and made our way to the Team Tennessee table. Once seated, I had to look around and really take in how many people were there. This dinner was HUGE! And we were one of TWO dinners that night! TNT really came out in force for this race!

Lots and lots of cancer-fighting people in this room.
   
   The presentation started about a half-hour later. One of the heads of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society got up and gave us an update of where the TNT money goes and what advancements have been made to fighting blood cancers. I really wish I could remember the detail of what she said, because it was very impressive. But let's be honest, I can barely remember what day it is most of the time.
   However, I DO remember the next speaker. How 'bout a little dose of a running legend with dinner because freakin' Olympic Gold Medalist Joan Benoit Samuelson was there! So cool. 

Legend.

   Unfortunately, I can't really tell you what she was saying either because I was plotting on how I was going to get my picture with her for almost her entire speech. Yes, my name is Kristine and I stalk running legends (no, I didn't get a picture).
   After Joan, awards were given out to the top fundraisers. I'm pretty sure that they announced that this race raised $6 million dollars for LLS! WOW! That's mind-blowing. And as most of you know, I raised $6,005 for the event. Seems like a lot of money, right? Want to take a guess on how much the top individual fundraiser raised for this event? Go ahead. Think about it. I'll wait... You're thinking something like $10,000, right? Nope! $25,000? Wrong again! OVER $50,000!!! One person raised $50,000!! Never think that one person can't do something huge, because there is proof right there.
   The last person who spoke was a leukemia survivor. Imagine being a twenty-something grad student who goes to the doctor one day because you're tired and have inflamed tonsils. The doctor thinks you have mono and tells you to get a blood test. A few hours later, that doctor is knocking on your door to tell you that you have cancer and to get to the hospital immediately for treatment. That's what happened to her. Personally, I can't fathom something like this, though I know it happens as I have friends who have been through it. As she was giving her testimony, the main point she kept mentioning was "I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you." Why? Because the drug that saved her life was directly paid for by Team in Training. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room when she said that. Heck, I'm tearing up just writing about it. And the best part? She ran the race on Sunday with her family.
   After the dinner, we met up for a few last minute instructions, and of course, another photo.

Team Tennessee REPRESENT!

   While we had an EARLY (4:00 am) wake-up call, it was only about 6:00 pm when dinner ended, so I tracked down my college runner girls and met up with them for a bit. 



   It was a great night.

Next post - RACE DAY! 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment