Friday, April 8, 2011

My New Ride!

   I've always said that any day you get a new bike is a good day.  Well, following in the tradition of me lucking into bikes that deserve way faster owners than I am, I had great day last week!  I am now the proud owner of an Orbea Alleta frame and fork, which will eventually be set up to be my tri bike.  Yes, yes, I know.  I've only done one tri so far and considering how awesome my road bike is, some might think I don't really need a tri bike.  And I totally agree.  But yet, here I am with a new addition to our bike stable.
   So how did I acquire this little gem?  A little backstory - my boss at my day job has a son who races on the collegiate level.  Back in 2006 my boss bought his son this Orbea to use as his time trial (TT) bike.   Kicker is that very soon after this purchase, his son got a sponsorship deal from the Hincapie Development Cycling Team.  Fun little benefit of getting a sponsorship from a major team like Hincapie - you also get a new bike.   So the new Orbea TT bike that had only been ridden 4 times went into storage and sat there for 5 years.   When I mentioned to Mike (the boss) that I started racing tris, and he thought about the bike.  Wanting to clear out some space, he gave me a great deal on it.  Then before you could say "bike hoarder," I owned a new bike!

   I don't have decent pictures of the actual frame and fork, but this is the model and paint job.
So pretty!   

Looks fast, huh?

   Now what should be interesting, is that I know less about building up a tri bike than I do about triathlons.  My goal is to have it built for the Augusta Half-Ironman at the end of September.  

   Training update: my training took a little step backwards due to vacation and a Spring cold, but I'm back on track now.  I have two tris in May - both sprints.  My goal is to not embarrrass myself!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment